Policy: It is the policy of Whole Children to provide an environment and opportunities for students to learn, internalize, and generalize appropriate behaviors that will serve them in other community endeavors.
Purpose: To help children and adults achieve their maximum potential to participate in their communities.
Goals of Whole Children:
1. Students will develop the necessary skills to participate in group or community activities at Whole Children and in the larger community in which they live.
2. Students will develop an awareness of their own behavior, the behavior of others, and how they impact one another.
3. The Whole Children environment will be one in which students can practice the skills and situations that are difficult for them in a safe and supportive manner.
4. All students, regardless of the skill level at which they enter Whole Children programs, will work to gain new skills and improve their ability to function effectively in a group.
5. Whole Children will remain a safe place for students, teachers, parents, and volunteers at all times.
⊲ Safety is the first concern of all teachers and staff. Students must be able to remain safe to themselves, others, and the environment.
⊲ Supports will be provided in multiple ways to help students participate safely to the extent that it is logistically and economically feasible for Whole Children. If the instructor and Program Manager determine that a child requires 1:1 assistance to participate successfully; the parent will be responsible for providing the assistance.
⊲ We rely on parents to manage their child if difficult and/or unsafe physical and/or verbal behaviors occur. Parents are expected to remain with their child until the teacher feels that the student has demonstrated an ability to participate in the class safely.
⊲ Teachers will reinforce behavioral expectations at the beginning of class.
⊲ Teachers will use communication strategies that recognize the varied abilities of students.
⊲ Classes will have a clear structure that offers the best opportunity for success.
⊲ Staff will use a system during class that consistently reinforces positive group behaviors.
⊲ Program sessions will conclude with feedback and/or awards for skill development and participation.
⊲ In cases of a consistent behavior or safety concern, the Program Manager and teacher, and parent will create an individualized action plan that defines the problem, the small and large goals, and the compliance expectations, including the point at which the student may be recommended to another Whole Children class or removed from the program.
⊲ If a child is unsafe 3 times within a class meeting, they will be sent home for the remainder of that class and may return the following week.